Schultze Asset Management, LP
was founded by George J. Schultze in 1998 to exploit opportunities in distressed securities by investing long and/or short in the securities of companies undergoing restructurings or reorganizations. Our focus is special situation investing in financially troubled and distressed credits.
As a U.S. distressed securities manager, located in New York and focusing on U.S. firms, we have the flexibility to invest in any part of the capital structure and at any point during the restructuring process. Through a highly disciplined alternative investment process, we seek to identify mispriced securities of companies in distress when one or more catalyst events are likely to drive values substantially towards fair value.
Managing Member Background
George J. Schultze
Mr. Schultze is Managing Member and Founder of the General Partner. He chairs the General Partner’s Investment and Strategy Committees and, together with his team, makes the final decision on all investments for the portfolio.
Mr. Schultze currently serves on the following boards and committees:
- Schultze Special Purpose Acquisition Corp. II-Chairman of Board, 2021
- Schultze Master Fund, Ltd and Schultze Offshore Fund, Ltd, February 2004
- Schultze Foundation, July 2005
- Tropicana Entertainment Litigation Trust Subcommittee, July 2009
Mr. Schultze is widely recognized as an expert on distressed and special situations investing and is often quoted in the media regarding high profile reorganization cases. He is author of The Art of Vulture Investing (Wiley Finance) and is also a frequent speaker at industry conferences and graduate schools such as Harvard Business School . Prior to founding the General Partner, he honed his activist distressed investing approach with MD Sass. Before that, he was employed with Fiduciary Partners fund of funds, the Mayer Brown & Platt law firm, and Merrill Lynch.
Mr. Schultze is a joint graduate of Columbia Business School and Columbia Law School , JD/MBA. He founded the Columbia Law School Investment Club and served as editor for The Columbia Business Law Review. He also authored several papers including: Negotiating the TWA Bankruptcy Restructuring, Tax Factors and ERISA Implications of Corporate Restructurings, and International Banking Law. While at Columbia , he placed 2nd in the 1995 business school annual stock-picking contest.
Mr. Schultze earned a BA from Rutgers College where he graduated with a joint major in Economics/Political Science and the Henry Rutgers Scholar distinction. While at Rutgers, he won The Wall Street Journal Award for Excellence in Economics and placed 23rd nationwide (from over 14,000 participants) and first place at Rutgers in the 1991 AT&T Annual Stock Picking Contest.
Although born and raised in the U.S.A. , Mr. Schultze is fluent in German and Spanish.
Mr. Schultze previously served on the following boards and committees:
- American Plumbing & Mechanical, Inc. – Chair of Bondholders’ Committee
- Armstrong World Industries, Inc. – Ad Hoc Committee of Debt Holders
- Atkins Nutritional – Ad Hoc Bank Lenders’ Committee
- Breed Technologies, Inc. – Trust Beneficiaries’ Ad Hoc Committee
- Chrysler – Committee of Non-TARP 1st Lien Lenders
- Collins & Aikman Corp. — Ad Hoc Bank Lender’s Committee
- Fabrikant Inventory, LLC – Board of Directors
- Fabrikant Receivables, LLC – Board of Directors
- General Chemical Group, Inc. – Official Bondholders’ Committee
- Hedge Fund Association- Board of Directors
- Home Products-Board of Directors
- Horizon Natural Resources – Pre-petition Senior Lenders’ Committee
- Interstate Bakeries Corp. – Ad Hoc Senior Lenders’ Committee
- Interstate Bakeries Corp. – Ad Hoc Trade Claim Committee
- Le Nature’s Inc. – Ad Hoc Committee of Secured Lenders
- M. Fabrikant & Sons, Inc. — Bank Lender’s Committee
- Power Plumbing GP, Inc. – Board of Directors
- Schultze Special Purpose Acquisition Corp. -Chairman of Board, 2018
- The Resurrection School Foundation-Board of Directors
- Tropicana Entertainment Opco – Secured Lenders’ Steering Committee
- Tweeter Home Entertainment Group, Inc. – Post-petition Lender’s Committee
- Tweeter NewCo, LLC – Board of Directors
- Twinlab Corp. – Ex Officio Bondholders’ Committee
- Ultra Petroleum- Chairman of the Official Creditors’ Committee
- United Airlines – Ad Hoc Municipal Bondholders’ Committee (JFK Facility)
- US Timberlands – Ad Hoc Bondholders’ Committee
- Washington Group International – Class 7 Claim Holders Ad Hoc Committee
- Werner Holding Co., Inc. – Board of Directors
- Werner Holding Co., Inc. – Second Lien Bank Debt Committee
- WWHC, Ltd, December 2012
- Whitehall Jeweller’s Case – Chief Liquidating Officer for Fabrikant Claimants
Media and Interviews
Get In Touch
Schultze Asset Management, LP
800 Westchester Ave
Rye Brook, NY 10573
Fax : 914-701-5269
Email: For information on our firm please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you’re a current investor and need assistance, please email: email@example.com
We look forward to seeing you.
Schultze Asset Management, LP offers an exciting and rewarding environment which results in a great place to build and/or further your career. We look for talented professionals who desire to learn and grow with the firm. We offer a competitive and comprehensive benefits package.
For immediate and confidential consideration, please email your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org . Please indicate the position for which you are applying. Schultze Asset Management, LP , is an Equal Opportunity Employer.