Schultze Asset Management, LP
was founded by George J. Schultze in 1998 to exploit opportunities in distressed securities by investing long and/or short in the securities of companies undergoing restructurings or reorganizations. Our focus is special situation investing in financially troubled and distressed credits.
As a U.S. distressed securities manager, located in New York and focusing on U.S. firms, we have the flexibility to invest in any part of the capital structure and at any point during the restructuring process. Through a highly disciplined alternative investment process, we seek to identify mispriced securities of companies in distress when one or more catalyst events are likely to drive values substantially towards fair value.
Managing Member Background
George J. Schultze
Mr. Schultze is Managing Member and Founder of Schultze Asset Management, LP (“SAM”), an award-winning alternatives investment firm. He chairs its Investment and Strategy Committees and, together with his team, makes final decision on all investments for the portfolio. Since its founding, SAM has executed over $7.4 billion in total investment transactions.
Mr. Schultze previously served on the following boards and committees:
- American Plumbing & Mechanical, Inc. – Chairman of the Bondholders’ Committee
- Armstrong World Industries, Inc. – Ad Hoc Committee of Debt Holder
- Atkins Nutritional – Ad Hoc Bank Lenders’ Committee
- Breed Technologies, Inc. – Trust Beneficiaries’ Ad Hoc Committee
- Chrysler – Committee of Non-TARP 1st Lien Lender
- Collins & Aikman Corp. — Ad Hoc Bank Lender’s Committee
- Fabrikant Inventory, LLC – Board of Directors
- Fabrikant Receivables, LLC – Board of Directors
- General Chemical Group, Inc. – Official Bondholders’ Committee
- Hedge Fund Association – Vice President and Member of the Board of Directors
- Home Products – Ad Hoc Bondholder Committee (2016)
- Home Products – Board of Directors
- Horizon Natural Resources – Pre-petition Senior Lenders’ Committee
- Interstate Bakeries Corp. – Ad Hoc Senior Lenders’ Committee
- Interstate Bakeries Corp. – Ad Hoc Trade Claim Committee
- Le Nature’s Inc. – Ad Hoc Committee of Secured Lender
- Le Nature’s Inc. Liquidation Trust – elected to Trust Board July 17, 2008
- M. Fabrikant & Sons, Inc. — Bank Lender’s Committee
- Pineapple Grove Village Condominium Association, Inc. – elected to Board October 15, 2008
- Power Plumbing GP, Inc. – Board of Director
- Resurrection Church (Rye, NY) – elected to Investment Finance Committee
- Resurrection Foundation (Rye, NY) – Board of Directors & Investment Committee
- Schultze Special Purpose Acquisition Corp. (former ticker: SAMA) – CEO and Chairman of the Board
- Tropicana Entertainment Opco – Secured Lenders’ Steering Committee
- Tweeter Home Entertainment Group, Inc. – Post-petition Lender’s Committee
- Tweeter NewCo, LLC – Board of Directors
- Twinlab Corp. – Ex Officio Bondholders’ Committee
- Ultra Petroleum Corp. – Chairman of the Official Unsecured Creditors’ Committee
- United Airlines – Ad Hoc Municipal Bondholders’ Committee (JFK Facility)
- US Timberlands – Ad Hoc Bondholders’ Committee
- Washington Group International – Class 7 Claim Holders Ad Hoc Committee
- Werner Holding Co., Inc. – Board of Directors
- Werner Holding Co., Inc. – Second Lien Bank Debt Committee
- Whitehall Jeweller’s Case – elected Chief Liquidating Officer for Fabrikant Claimants June 26, 2008
In addition to currently serving on the boards of directors for Schultze Asset Management’s related entities, Mr. Schultze currently serves on the following boards and committees:
- Clever Leaves (ticker “CLVR”) – elected to Chair Board of Directors & Audit Committee Feb. 2022
- Tropicana Entertainment – elected to Litigation Trust Subcommittee July 2009
- Schultze Foundation – Founder and Trustee
- Schultze Special Purpose Acquisition Corp. II (ticker “SAMA”) – CEO and Chairman of the Board
Mr. Schultze is widely recognized as an expert on distressed, event-driven, and special situations investing and is often quoted in the media regarding high profile reorganization cases. He is the author of The Art of Vulture Investing published by Wiley Finance. He is also a frequent speaker at industry conferences and graduate schools such as Harvard Business School. Prior to founding SAM, he honed his activist distressed investing approach with MD Sass. Before that, he was employed with Fiduciary Partners fund of funds, the Mayer Brown & Platt law firm, and Merrill Lynch.
Mr. Schultze is a joint graduate of Columbia Business School and Columbia Law School, JD/MBA. He founded the Columbia Law School Investment Club and served as editor for the Columbia Business Law Review. He also authored several papers including: Negotiating the TWA Bankruptcy Restructuring, Tax Factors and ERISA Implications of Corporate Restructurings, and International Banking Law. While at Columbia, he placed 2nd in the annual business school stock-picking contest. Mr. Schultze is a member of the Hermes Society of Columbia Business School and the 1754 Society of Columbia University. He is also a member of the Boston College Parents’ Leadership Council.
Mr. Schultze earned a BA from Rutgers College where he graduated with a joint major in Economics/Political Science and the Henry Rutgers Scholar distinction. While at Rutgers, he won The Wall Street Journal Award for Excellence in Economics and placed 1st in the AT&T Annual Stock Picking Contest. Although born and raised in the USA, Mr. Schultze is fluent in German and Spanish. He lives in Rye, NY, has six children, and enjoys numerous sports, including kite boarding, skiing, golf, and squash.
Media and Interviews
Get In Touch
Schultze Asset Management, LP
800 Westchester Ave
Rye Brook, NY 10573
Fax : 914-701-5269
Email: For information on our firm please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you’re a current investor and need assistance, please email: email@example.com
We look forward to seeing you.
Schultze Asset Management, LP offers an exciting and rewarding environment which results in a great place to build and/or further your career. We look for talented professionals who desire to learn and grow with the firm. We offer a competitive and comprehensive benefits package.
For immediate and confidential consideration, please email your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org . Please indicate the position for which you are applying. Schultze Asset Management, LP , is an Equal Opportunity Employer.